The French Huguenot Church, organized in 1681, is the only Huguenot Church in America. St. Philip’s Church opened in 1723. The spire ha always been a familiar landmark to mariners coming in from the Atlantic. Among the distinguished Carolinians buried in the graveyard are John C. Calhoun and Gov. Edward Rutledge, the latter, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.